Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chilly Outside and Chili Inside

Hello,

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but here it is pouring buckets of rain.  The temperature has dropped and I am thinking about something to stick to my ribs.  Something that doesn't require many ingredients and taste oh so good.  My friend Judy has been asking me for a while for a post about chili and this one is for her.  The weather is screaming for it......

"Beef Chili"


I love, love, love, "CHILI".  You can make chili with different types of meat and with or without beans.  Like most things that I create its a personal preference.  I prefer to use ground turkey when I make chili here at home, but have also made it with ground beef, stew beef, or chicken.




"Keep your meat chunky"

I believe that all chili starts with a base and you build from there.  I like to start with lots of diced onions, green peppers, and sliced mushrooms for ground turkey or ground beef chili.  I don't add any extra oil to the pan to saute the veggies because of fat from the ground meat.  (SAVE THE EXTRA CALORIES WHEN YOU CAN)  Its a little different for stew beef and chicken.  I like to add the following spices: Cumin, chili powder, lots of fresh garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, and chipotle peppers or jalapenos, or crushed red pepper flakes.  Once to meat is cooked and the veggies are soft I then add canned chunky tomatoes and canned black beans.  I like using black beans because they are small and tasty.  Once you have added all the ingredients I like to simmer the whole pot for a good 30minutes or how ever long you can hold out for before sampling it.  Chili is great served with a nice fresh baked piece of corn bread or crackers.  I hope you all enjoy!  I plan on doing so!!!

INGREDIENTS:
MEAT OF YOUR CHOICE, GROUND BEEF OR TURKEY

DICED ONIONS, GREEN PEPPERS
SLICED MUSHROOMS
CANNED TOMATOES AND BEANS
FRESH GARLIC (POWDER CAN BE SUBSTITUTED)
OREGANO, CHILI POWDER, CUMIN, SALT AND PEPPER
SUGAR


Mo

2 comments:

  1. MO! I miss that chili sooo much. I can close my eyes and taste it right now.. mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron,

    I just made some last night you would have enjoyed it! I hope all is going well for you in Arizona. There has been a lot of unfortunate stuff happening at PP lately.
    Have a great day,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete