Sunday, October 30, 2011

Add Some Sauce!!

Hello,
In my previous posting I talked about pasta being an inexpensive ingredient to any family dinner.  For a side dish you can turn pasta into a salad with added vegetables.  For a main dish I prefer to add cooked vegetables, meat (poultry, seafood, or beef), and a great sauce (white or red). 
Not everyone knows how to create a homemade from scratch sauce whether its a white cream sauce or a red tomato sauce.  I like to suggest using store brought sauce.  Some of you may freak out and claim that your Great Grandmothers have all turned over in their graves for suggesting using a jarred sauce.  I on the other hand think any jarred sauce can be a GREAT sauce!  Now, do not think that I am suggesting using the sauce straight out of the jar and it will be great,  you have to be creative and add some of your own special flavors.

I prefer to have a meaty tomato sauce for a spaghetti pasta (or your choice) or even a spaghetti squash... YUMMY!!  I use a ground turkey or chicken. To the meat I add chopped onions, peppers, and if I have it mushrooms. (Meat and vegetables are a personal preference) While the meat is cooking I add fresh garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and basil or an Italian seasoning (a blend of spices). Dry spices are just as good for this recipe and most.  Once the meat is cooked completely this is when you would add your choice of jarred tomato sauce.  I usually buy what ever is on sale.  Be careful when you add the sauce because it will get hot and start to pop.  Simmer your sauce slowly so it does not pop on you or all over your stove top.  I find that a spoon full or two of sugar sprinkled in a tomato sauce is helpful to take away the acidic taste you sometimes get from jarred sauce.  After it has simmered for about 20 minutes taste it for quality control.  DINNER IS SERVED!!! I like to use this sauce over spaghetti squash or over a high fiber pasta.


Enjoy
Mo

2 comments:

  1. I have to be honest I was a little hesitant about using store brought sauce, because as you said my Great Grandmother would be turning over in her grave a couple of times if she ever heard me using store brought items.. But I tried it and it was WONDERFUL. I've never been good with creating my own homemade sauce so ur suggestions was a big hit causing everyone to go back for seconds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J I am glad I could be of some help in this case. Thanks for your comments!!
    Mo

    ReplyDelete