Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Two Dishes From One!!

Hello again,
You ever have so much of something that you couldn't possibly eat it all or create a big enough dish of one recipe with it?   Well with the same chicken that was given to me because someone else cut to much of it and marinated it, I created another dish.  Using the same chicken from the previous recipe you can make this dish also.

INGREDIENTS:
MARINATED CHICKEN FROM PREVIOUS RECIPE
FRESH PEPPERS (YOUR CHOICE OF COLORS)
CARROTS
ONIONS (RED OR YELLOW)
JALAPENOS
GINGER AND GARLIC
CILANTRO

When ever I create a dish for work or for my family I try to multitask so everything is finished at the same time.  With this dish if you are cooking it from scratch and not like me with the chicken already cut and marinated for me, I would suggest marinating your chicken first and foremost.  The longer it is marinated the more flavor you will have in the chicken breast.  While the chicken is marinating start cutting your vegetables.  The peppers should be cut into large strips as well as the onions.  The carrots should be peeled and cut on an angle because it looks nice and it will cook faster.
  Toss all of the vegetables together peppers, onions, fresh jalapenos and carrots together with olive oil, ginger (rough cut pieces) and garlic.  Ginger is rather spicy so if you aren't a fan of spice make the pieces smaller or leave them out all together. Many people are afraid of heat, but I love it.  If you are cooking in a regular oven I would turn the oven up to 450 degrees (preheated), if its a convection oven turn it to 400 degrees (preheated).  Put the veggies and the chicken into the oven at the same time different cooking sheets or pans.  The chicken will take 10-15 minutes to cook and so will the vegetables.  Chicken is done when its firm to the touch or 165 degrees in the center or higher.   How done you make your vegetables is a personal preference.  Some people prefer their vegetables to be soft and others prefer them to still have a crunch, once you decide they are done to your likeness remove them sprinkle with salt and pepper and then add it to the chicken.  Now it is the time to add the cilantro.  YIPPEE!!  Unlike parsley you want to use the stems of cilantro because it has all the flavor in it unlike parsley I only use the leaves.  Add as little or as much cilantro to your liking.  This dish can be eaten as it is or over some brown rice for a healthy meal for the family.  I hope you enjoy!  Feel free to leave a comment if you would like another idea on the same chicken.

Mo




6 comments:

  1. Now that thanksgiving it's coming, you may have some extra turkey... well this recipe, work with turkey too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sary, thanks for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment. You are right this would be a great way to turn left over turkey, ham, or beef into another dish using these ingredients. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming!!
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful recipe & tips. This sounds so delicious. I'm definitely fixing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi VirgoLuv,
    I am glad you found something you like. It is very healthy for you I hope you enjoy! Let me know how it turned out and please let me know if you need any other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I like quick, easy, low cal recipes. Keep them coming. So glad you created this blog. It gets me excited about cooking again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you VirgoLuv, that brings a smile to my face that you are actually enjoying what I have to say. I will do my best to keep them coming as my family and friends keep telling me write them down. Thats harder than I thought because its usually coming from inspiration starts out as one thing and ends up as something else. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete