Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pork The Other White Meat

Hello,
Well another long night at work, but since it wasn't to busy I had an opportunity to be creative.  I started out with a very large piece of meat, "Pork Loin".  I don't know many people who cook with pork loin on a regular bases, but its a very nice piece of meat for large family meals.  A great choice for maybe even a Christmas meal to change up the typical turkey centerpiece.
(Ingredients list is at the end of this posting)
Looking at this large piece of meat last night and trying to change it up from the norm I had many ideas.  I first thought of cutting it into big pieces and stuffing it with ..... "What?" I had no idea and anymore thinking about it would of took to much of my time.  Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! My creative juices started to flow!  The grill was red hot and it came to me I will make grilled pork loin chops.  I cut the loin into about 20 pieces of maybe a 1/2 inch or so and marinated it with olive oil, salt, and coarse black pepper, and on to the grill I went.  This could have been done with a counter top electric grill or even in a frying pan.

I personally was going for a certain look.  It makes people think I spent a lot of time on it when I didn't, when they look at grill marks.  (cooks secret) While the sizzle of the pork was occurring .... Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Creativity hit me again... "I need a topping for this pork"...."What?" So I thought pork, apples, cranberries, onions......Ding, Ding, Ding!!!
Once my pork was finished on the grill I covered it with a top and placed it in a 400 degree convection oven for 20-25 minutes.  Depending on how thick your cuts are it may take longer or less time its done once it reaches 165 degrees, I prefer done meat.
While my pork was baking I started to prepare what turned out to be a Apple and Cranberry Relish.  In a frying pan I added a piece of butter and olive oil once the butter was melted I added what looked like 1 very large onion chopped into small pieces.  During the sauteing process I added fresh thyme,  Once the onions got transparent or very soft I added 8 chopped granny smith apples.  The apples were skinned and cut into rather large chunks one half of an apple I cut into 9- 12 pieces.  Add a small amount of water probably 1/2 cup and simmered with the lid on for about 10 minutes I then added a small scoop of brown sugar less than 1 cup unpacked.  Once I notice my apples are starting to get a little soft I added a couple handfuls of frozen whole cranberries (fresh is fine here).  By the time I reached this step my pork is out so I add a little liquid to my pan from the pork. (Not To Much) You will know that it is ready to serve when your apples are soft, the cranberries have all burst and the liquid is gone.  Remove from the burner and add salt and pepper to taste.  I must admit I am not a fan of fruit being on my meat, but I really liked this dish and was happy with it. 

INGREDIENTS:
PORK LOIN (OR ANY TYPE OF PORK YOU PREFER)
OLIVE OIL
SALT AND PEPPER
RELISH:
ONION
GRANNY SMITH APPLES
CRANBERRIES (FRESH OR FROZEN)
BROWN SUGAR (OR OTHER SWEETNER)
OLIVE OIL AND BUTTER (OR JUST THE ONE YOUR CHOICE)
SALT AND PEPPER













No comments:

Post a Comment