Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pumpkin Soup?

Hello,
Okay I was a little worried when someone last night requested "pumpkin soup", but I was up for the challenge.  I always knew people made pumpkin soup, but I must admit I have always thought "YUCK, Pumpkin pie yes, Soup NEVER!!!".  I sadly was wrong.  Okay I don't admit that often so make a mental note of it.   Pumpkin soup is perfect for this time of year.  Your guest would think you spent all day cooking it not realizing it can be made with canned pumpkin. 
"Ginger Pumpkin Soup"
 INGREDIENTS:
CANNED PUMPKIN
ONION
FRESH GINGER
CHICKEN OR VEGETABLE BROTH
FRESH THYME
OLIVE OIL
SALT AND PEPPER



To begin I diced and sauteed a yellow onion in a big soup pot.  Once the onions were soft and starting to caramelize (slight brown color) I added a bundle of fresh thyme and the broth of my choice.  I personally added a vegetable base and water to this batch.  Once it was completed it needed something and I added chicken broth and it tasted much better.  So depending on your eating preference vegetarian or not it is up to you, but I am thinking chicken broth or even half and half.  Do not add to much broth here before adding your canned pumpkin.  It's easier to add more broth then it is to remove it.  Once the pumpkin is added stir until it is completely mixed to your liking and simmer for about 30 minutes.  While it is simmering add in a chunk of fresh ginger that was roughly chopped.  To much ginger would make it spicy so go easy and adjust it to your liking later.  Once the soup has simmered enough taste it for salt and pepper.    Now put it in a pretty bowl and serve it to your family and friends. 

This is definitely a make again recipe for me!!

Mo

4 comments:

  1. Do you think it would make a big difference if you used the grated ginger from the store instead of fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Judy,

    If you mean dry in the jar then the only difference will be the amount. The ground stuff will be very strong if you add to much. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and increase from there. One of the nice things with having the fresh in there is you actually get little bits of ginger as you eat it. Which of course if you only have dry its still doable just remember less is more.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monique,

    I'm back! :-) Just checking in to see what new blog posts you have. I must admit, my initial thought about this soup WAS yuck. However, I have always prided myself on being a super open-minded person, so I would be willing to give it a try. I am not a huge pumpkin person at all, but the other ingredients are indeed things I love. It sounds pretty simple to make as well. Maybe I will make it during the holidays :-) Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi VirgoLuv,
    Welcome back. I am with you also "YUCK" I was quite surprised it turned out so well. If it didn't it wouldn't have made the blog. LOL

    ReplyDelete